- Open Access
Inhibition of HIV-1 gene expression by Sam68ΔC: multiple targets but a common mechanism?
© Cochrane; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2009
- Received: 11 February 2009
- Accepted: 02 March 2009
- Published: 02 March 2009
Two recent publications have explored the mechanisms by which a mutant of the host protein Sam68 blocks HIV-1 structural protein synthesis and expands its activity to encompass Nef. Although the two studies propose different mechanisms for the responses observed, it is possible that a common activity is responsible. Understanding how this Sam68 mutant discriminates among the multiple viral mRNAs promises to reveal unique properties of HIV-1 RNA metabolism.
- Cytoplasmic Granule
- Stress Granule
- Export Pathway
- Sam68 Mutant
- Selective Repression
I wish to thank Mark McNally for all of his constructive suggestions in the preparation of this commentary. Research by A.C. is supported by operating grants from the Ontario HIV Treatment Network and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.
- Tang H, Kuhen KL, Wong-Staal F: Lentivirus replication and regulation. Annual Review of Genetics. 1999, 33: 133-170. 10.1146/annurev.genet.33.1.133.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Foster JL, Garcia JV: HIV-1 Nef: at the crossroads. Retrovirology. 2008, 5: 84-10.1186/1742-4690-5-84.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stove V, Verhasselt B: Modelling thymic HIV-1 Nef effects. Curr HIV Res. 2006, 4 (1): 57-64. 10.2174/157016206775197583.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Priceputu E, Hanna Z, Hu C, Simard MC, Vincent P, Wildum S, Schindler M, Kirchhoff F, Jolicoeur P: Primary human immunodeficiency virus type 1 nef alleles show major differences in pathogenicity in transgenic mice. J Virol. 2007, 81 (9): 4677-4693. 10.1128/JVI.02691-06.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Henao-Mejia J, Liu Y, Park IW, Zhang J, Sanford J, He JJ: Suppression of HIV-1 Nef translation by Sam68 mutant-induced stress granules and nef mRNA sequestration. Mol Cell. 2009, 33 (1): 87-96. 10.1016/j.molcel.2008.11.024.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Marsh K, Soros V, Cochrane A: Selective translational repression of HIV-1 RNA by Sam68DeltaC occurs by altering PABP1 binding to unspliced viral RNA. Retrovirology. 2008, 5: 97-10.1186/1742-4690-5-97.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Reddy T, Xu W, Mau J, Goodwin C, Suhasini M, Tang H, Frimpong K, Rose D, Wong-Staal F: Inhibition of HIV replication by dominant negative mutants of Sam68, a functional homolog of HIV-1 Rev. Nature Medicine. 1999, 5: 635-642. 10.1038/9479.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Soros V, Valderrarama Carvajal H, Richard S, Cochrane A: Inhibition of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 Rev Function by a Dominant-Negative Mutant of Sam68 through Sequestration of Unspliced RNA at Perinuclear Bundles. J Virol. 2001, 75: 8203-8215. 10.1128/JVI.75.17.8203-8215.2001.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.